About Me

My photo
My name is Jaron "Hiro" Schneider. I am a chef, photographer, writer, historian, but most of all I am a true believer in the wonders of tradition and the beauty that lies in the differences among cultures. Welcome to a seat behind my mind's eye. I'm ready for an adventure. You in?

Tuesday 9 June 2009

First Blog

Hey everyone,

So let me first introduce myself and talk a little bit about what this blog is going to cover and why you would want to read it. 

My name is Hiro Schneider and I am a lover of travel and most of all a lover of food. I have spent the majority of my life behind a stove learning everything I could about the art of cooking. I still have a lot more to learn, but I hope to share my current knowledge with all of you. You see, I decided that there is so much to learn about the world that I can't possibly try and fit it all in to one lifetime. That would be absurd. Instead, I want to learn all there is to know about regional cooking. That seems more plausible. So as I travel throughout the world, I will take you with me. I will see the sights, taste the food, share the experience with you, and then write you a few recipes from the areas I visit so that you can taste the food yourself in the comfort of your home. 

My philosophy is that we all change. As the world has grown throughout the ages it has become more and more diverse, interconnected, and less individual. In many ways this change is good. But in many others it destroyes the individual cultures that once were truly unique. In those places where internationalism has buried what was once truly singular, I believe there are traces that can still be found. I believe they are found in the food. It is my goal to find that hidden culture and make sure that everyone everywhere can know about it and will never forget that it exists.

So in this blog you can expect a few things: 
1) Little snippits of my book. Kind of like teasers. As I finish parts of the book I will put some of what I write here for you to read to get you excited for the final product.
2) Recipes. They may or may not be related to my book, but they sure will be tasty!
3) Photographs. There will be many of these, and many of them you can expect to see in my book. 

So here we go. The first country on my list? Italy. More specifically the Tuscany region, Rome, Lake Como, Venice, and Cinque Terre. I will be exploring the secret rivalry of Grom and Vivoli as well as taking you guys into the kitches of the Grand Hotel Serbelloni, one of the best restaurants in the world. Hope you are hungry, because this journey is not short on delicacies of every type.

Until next time,
~HS

No comments:

Post a Comment